Saturday 28 April 2012

NOTD: Old & New


I was browsing through my nail varnish collection the other day to find the palest shade I owned, as I wanted to check how my pale skin looked with very light polishes before investing in some very pale pastels I've had my eye on recently.

I came across a polish I had no idea I owned, no recollection of buying, no idea when I would have bought it, or why. The polish in question is '17 Lasting Fix in Melted Mallow', a pearlised white. The colour seems very bridal to me, & whilst not the kind of colour I'd usually go for, I've become a little taken by it.

The formulation isn't that brilliant, I have 2 coats on, but I feel 3 or 4 are needed to truly reach its potential. It also goes on a little streaky (although, like I said, I have no idea how old this polish is, so it could just be that it's getting on a bit).


As you may notice from the photo, this is not the current 17 Lasting Fix Varnish packaging, & I've had a check on the boots website & they don't actually do this shade any more. They have a shade that looks similar called 'mini skirt' but I'm not quite sure if it's pearlised. I'm going to do a little more investigating & see where I can find a similar shade.


Like I said, I find the look quite bridal, so I mixed it up a little with a slick of Topshop Nails in 'Moonshine' on the nail of my ring finger. I find Topshop nail varnishes a pleasure to work with, the formulations are good, the brush is great & the colour range is fantastic. Moonshine is metallic with a colour I'd describe as 'if Rose Gold was Silver'. I've actually found I only need one coat of this for full colour. Due to the metallic nature I do find that Moonshine is slightly more prone to streaking than most of the Topshop Range though.


They're finished with a top coat of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Anti-Chip Top Coat, which I cannot rave about enough at the moment. Without a doubt the best top coat I've ever used. The only thing I've found that seems to prevent the 'smudging' I usually experience in the 15-60minutes after doing my nails.

 Miss Sarah x

2 comments:

  1. Love this :) So tempted to buy the Sally Hensen top coat, I have the OPI one but it doesn't seem to do much and takes forever to dry... I love the colour of the pink varnish!
    Lots of Love xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE to get the Insta-Dri...it's AMAZING!! within 30 seconds your nails are COMPLETELY dry & as hard & smooth as acrylics!! I've never found anything like it!! I struggled to find it though, searched the nail section of many Boots & Superdrug stores before I found one that had it in stock.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete