Wednesday 2 May 2012

Fancy a Splurge?

I was reading CharlMathews (Something Special to Say)'s April Favourites Blog Post & she asked for product recommendations to treat herself when her student loan comes in. I started typing a response & realised it was getting longer & longer, so figured I make a blog post on the subject.

So these are recommendations for if you're coming into a bit of money & are wondering what to try/splurge on. I'm not at all recommending anyone purchases all of these, just some suggestions to pick one or maybe 2 from.





A 'Luxury' lip balm 


- Kiehl's lip balm #1 
This is really different to other lip balms I've owned, pricey but LOVELY.
It's mainly absorbed into the lips but you do get a nice sheen that remains (not too much to look overly glossy or disrupt lipstick/gloss application though)
It holds itself well (like a waxy balm) but can also be sheered out, so you can wear it as thick or thinly as you like without it feeling slippery, whilst feeling softer than a waxy balm.
I have the mango one (quote from my flatmate 'it smells like you're IN a mango', it's a very real scent, rather than artificial), the coconut one smells divine too. There's also a non-scented one if you're not into that.
£9.50
http://www.kiehls.co.uk/face/lip-care/scented-lip-balm-1.aspx
                         


                                       
-MAC Hey Sailor! SunTint 
These liquid lip balms belong to MAC's Limited Edition Hey Sailor Collection.
They give just a hint of colour, there's 3 shades available; Sea Mist (a peachy nude), Au Rose (a pale rose pink) & Abalone (a deeper, fuchsia pink).
The formula contains a splattering of very fine gold glitter, which will really make your lips glow in the summer sunshine.
These are practical, as well as pretty, with SPF 20 & MAC claims these 'protect lips against sun, wind & salt.'
As such an all round product, I predict these are going to be one of 'The' lip products for summer 2012.
Get your hands on one quickly though, they're selling out fast!
£11.50
http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/product/shaded/8868/22046/New-Collections/Hey-Sailor-Colour/Lips/Hey-Sailor-Suntints-SPF20-Liquid-Lip-Balm/index.tmpl




-Eve Lom Kiss Mix 
This is super pricey, I picked one up for my sis & didn't realise the price until I'd paid.
It's one of those products that really is worth the money though. Everytime I speak to my sister she can't stop going on about how much she loves it (& she's not really into beauty, so hadn't heard of the brand & didn't 'know' she was meant to love it, if that makes sense, it could have been Vaseline level for all she knew before she used it)
I feel this product has an edge over other lip balms as it has protective ingredients as well as moisturising meaning it's great for summer sun exposure as well as winter winds.
These have a lovely pearlised shine, so look great on their own or over a lipstick.
£16.00
http://www.evelom.com/product/shop+products/kiss+mix.do






A 'Luxury' Lipstick 
Either in your 'go to' colour or a super bold, statement colour. 
Loads of brands have sheerer ranges out at the moment, but I suggest investing in one of their 'signature' lipsticks, the feel & look of these make it really worth the money.



-YSL Rouge Pur Couture
I've done a review on my one of these lipsticks, so check out 'My Secret Weapon to Tackle Phone Interviews' for more details on this AMAZING lipstick
£23.50
http://www.yslbeauty.co.uk/make-up/lips/lip-stick/rouge-pur-couture.aspx






-Dior's Rouge Dior
This is SO expensive, but I genuinely feel that it's one of those products that actually IS worth the ridiculously high price tag.
I have never had a lipstick feel so amazing on my lips as this, it's absolutely incredible.
The colour is really bold & really lasts.
The formula is also slightly 'plumping', who doesn't love a good 'plump'
£25.00



There are of course other high-end lipsticks that are amazing & very much worth money but some I haven't tried (I'm thinking my next discovery may be a Chanel) & Some I just haven't liked quite as much as these two.



A 'Luxury' Mascara 
First off, I am well aware that some high street mascaras are really, really amazing & lots of people love them, don't think anything could beat them & don't see the point in spending any more on a mascara (They're definitely a lot better than most of the mid-range mascaras...tip, don't waste your money on a mid-range mascara!). I also know that some really expensive mascaras are awful & some are alright, but no better than the good high street ones. There are a select few though that I genuinely think are the best mascaras in existence & really do knock the best high street ones out of the water, I was converted about 4-5 years ago & haven't looked back since.


-YSL Faux Cils
THE best mascara in existence FACT. 
If you want amazing looking lashes, there really is nothing better, short of false lashes (& I actually think alot of the time a few coats of this looks so much better than false lashes.)
The brush is what makes this mascara amazing for me (although the formula is pretty darn great too), so once it's time for a replacement, if you can't afford to keep this as your day-to-day mascara, you can improve the look of a cheaper mascara with a good formula by thoroughly cleaning your YSL wand & using it to apply your high-street mascara.
These do dry up a little eventually (about the 4-6month mark, although you're not meant to keep mascaras more than 6months for hygiene reasons), but there are methods to revive a slightly dried up mascara.
These have gone up about 25-30% in price over the last 5 years, but they could charge £50 for this mascara & it would still be worth it, in my opinion.
£23.00


I was going to mention another 'worth the money' high end mascara here, but there's no need. If you want to splurge on a mascara, just go with the YSL Faux Cils, there genuinely is nothing better.
(Incase you have some crazy allergy to YSL Faux Cils or some beef with YSL, what I was going to mention  was the Dior Mascaras, the classic 'DiorShow Backstage' & 'DiorShow Extase' are particular favourites)

I was also going to mention luxury foundations, but they aren't really 'treat products'. Some of them are, however, so very worth the money, so if you're in the market for a foundation to make your skin look flawless check out 'DiorSkin Forever' or 'Clinique Even Better' & if you're after something with a little lighter coverage check out 'Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua' (I wouldn't recommend that for really dry skin though!!), with all of these make sure you get colour matched at a counter, guess work will lead to you most likely wearing the wrong colour & not looking right at all. Lastly if there's not a colour that you match to completely correctly in the range, then DON'T go with that foundation, try another brand (shades tend to be similar in a brand's different ranges, I've found), it's not worth your money to walk away with the wrong colour foundation, even if it's the best in the world! 

Miss Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment